They found him Dead Georgette Heyer

They Found Him Dead   Georgette Heyer

 

published 1937




This is an up and down kind of book. There are some excellent moments and characters and funny scenes here, but I didn’t find the mystery either compelling or difficult to solve. It was quite awkwardly written: I looked up her list of works and this is bang in the middle, she’d been going for ages, but this one did seem like it needed one more edit. There are weird transitions – including conversations that change personnel while underway… [I was going to include an example here, but it is quite dull. Can be produced as evidence if ever needed] so you have to re-read a few sentences several times. Someone gets engaged during the course of the book, and again you have to re-read three times to check what has happened – was there a scene missed out?

 

But Heyer’s crime books are always an easy enough read,  although the authorial voice can be over-opinionated and annoying. (For me, her best by a long way is Envious Casca, in fact one of my favourite crime books from any author, now re-published under various different names).

Heyer is very good at writing annoying but recognizable types: here are two competing women:

‘Doesn’t it get on your nerves? But perhaps you don’t suffer from your nerves as I do.’

It was not to be expected that Betty Premble would allow such an insulting suggestion to pass unchallenged, and she replied warmly that, as a matter of fact, she was One Mass of Nerves.

I had a sneaking soft spot for Rosemary, the first woman above, who was a very early adopter of Strengths-based leadership – when asked to do something difficult: ‘I’ve told you often and often that it’s just no use expecting me to do things like that. I’m not that sort.’

She is told off by the Heyer-classic-sharp-old-lady-character, who says that if bereaved, Rosemary would

 ‘spend a 12-month telling everyone what your emotions were.’

Rosemary took this in very good part, merely saying with a certain amount of interest, ‘I wonder if I should? Do you think I analyse myself too much? With my type that’s always a danger of course.’

Miss Allison felt that Rosemary came off the best from this encounter.

I think we’d all feel the same.

Rosemary gets her comeuppance late on

Lady Harte raised her eyes from the cards. ‘I do not in the least mind being thought insensitive, Rosemary; but as I fancy you meant that remark as a slur on my character, I can only say that it was extremely rude of you,’ she said severely. This rejoinder was so unexpected that Rosemary, colouring hotly, was for the moment bereft of speech. Lady Harte, laying her cards out with a firm hand, took advantage of her silence to add: ‘The sensitiveness you vaunt so incessantly, my good girl, does not seem to take other people’s feelings into account. If you talked less about yourself and thought more of others, you would not only be a happier woman, but a great deal pleasanter to live with into the bargain.’

But Rosemary doesn’t stay down for long, and is happy to get going again…

‘Undeterred by her oft-stated conviction that X had murdered Y, she at once accepted this invitation’ from the allegedly murderous household.

And: 'Rosemary, aware that a highly dramatic and possibly violent scene lay before her, armed herself for it by putting on a dove-grey hat and an appealing picture-hat.' 

One excellent feature of Heyer crime novels is that that poshos don’t waste any time being loyal to each other, or saying it couldn’t be one of their own type who did it – they are all very busy dobbing each other in, and suggesting motives for their nearest and dearest to have committed the crime.

‘I simply hate having to tell you this [CiB: no she doesn’t], but I do feel it’s my duty not to keep anything back. And actually it’s no secret that his great-aunt hated Clement. Everyone knows that James Kane is the one she’d like to have here.’

Yes, that’s Rosemary again.

I have noticed this before – this from a post on Heyer’s Detection Unlimited

I loved the way all the gentry in the village are forever telling the police whom they suspect did it, with full details – it makes a refreshing change from the usual solidarity, stiff upper lip and refusal to talk, and they are all completely horrible and unabashed about it. No blaming it on the servants or yokels: they all know perfectly well that one of their group must be guilty, and they are all keen to point the finger at each other.

There is an odd fashion reference: the sainted Rosemary at one point is imagining herself ‘the victim of a tragic love-affair, gowned by Reville, wearing a long mournful rope of pearls.’

Reville was a company founded in 1906, famous for court-dresses and robes, and actually responsible for Queen Mary’s coronation robe. According to the Vintage Fashion GuildThey were known for their lavish, but conservative, gowns and during the 1920s were not able to keep up with the changing tide of fashion. By the mid 1930s Reville was out of business.’ This book is 1937 – an unusual mistake for Heyer to make. I found a beautiful picture of a Reville gown at the National Portrait Gallery, but it is not available for reproduction without paying. However you can go and look at it here.

There is a lot about child-raising, with a couple of horrible children featured, but this is dull and predictable and irrelevant. However an excuse to show this:

Betty Pemble had been inspired to array her offspring in their best clothes, undeterred by any consideration of the unsuitability of jade-green silk for garden wear. Peter, who was a strong-minded-looking child of three, wore in addition to his jade knickers a frilled shirt of primrose yellow. yellow. Judging from his expression, which was forbidding, he did not regard his gala raiment with favour.

Illos for patterns for children’s clothes from 1937, NYPL

Top photo from the Smithsonian – it had a general feel for the people in the book, but also shows a woman anthropologist from the right date, Frederica Annis Lopez de Leo de Laguna, who travelled abroad for her researches and reminded me of Norma in the book, ‘who had developed in her 30s a passion for penetrating into the more inaccessible parts of the world’ and turns up late in the book to cause some trouble.


Comments

  1. I do like the wit here, Moira, I must say. But I know exactly what you mean about the mystery being too straightforward and too easy to solve. Still, she did do characters fairly well, I think. It makes you wonder why an editor didn't make some suggestions (or perhaps one did?)...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot - Heyer might easily be the kind of author who takes no notice of editors! And she is always entertaining and witty.

      Delete
  2. Was slightly curious, but it looked rather overpriced on Amazon. 15$ is more than I am willing to pay, when plenty of GAD books Kindle editions sell for between 3 and 10 dollars.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It may be borrowed from Open Library as an online book. You need an account, which is free, and you will be prompted to renew it every hour, which can be annoying, but it beats the $9.99 Kindle price.
      https://openlibrary.org/works/OL4092605W/They_Found_Him_Dead

      Delete
    2. Johan: it is 3.99 in the UK, so you are unlucky. There's no excuse for charging so much is there?

      Shay: thanks as ever, our expert on tracking down books!

      Delete
  3. They Found Him Dead is one of my 3 fave Heyer mysteries, after its sequel Duplcate Death and Envious Casca. All three are replete with neat little character zingers, from which no one is safe.

    And really, don't you just love young Mr. Harte? And even more when he grows up and stars in Duplicate Death?

    I felt, though, that not enough was made of the deep tragedy of Emily's life, near its end, when her son--and only descendent--is murdered. But yes, the solution is fairly evident...the clues are all there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heyer's not one for considering the tragedy, is she? Yes it's an interesting trope to have the little boy from this to grow up as he does. I enjoyed Duplicate Death, but Envious Casca definitely my favourite.

      Delete
  4. Okay, I just have to add this. After I read this post this morning, I pulled my old paperback copy of They Found Him Dead to give it a long overdue reread. I was travelling across the city (Toronto) by transit just after lunch, and it was just the thing to take with me.

    While on the streetcar, the woman sitting across from me remarked on my reading Heyer, and then told me that her father, J. Oval, had been an illustrator, and had created all those Pan paperback covers for all the Heyer historicals. I was charmed by the encounter.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a fantastic encounter, thanks so much for sharing that! What a coincidence, I will take the credit for your happy meeting 😉
      Those covers are iconic - I can picture a dozen of them without any difficulty. How how we shared those books round the classroom as teenagers....

      Delete
  5. Daniel Milford-Cottam23 June 2023 at 00:02

    I'm pretty sure Reville was going well into the 1960s as a label/brand, I used to own a coat many years ago that had a Reville label that was from the 1960s. The house (as Reville & Rossiter) merged with Worth of London in the 1930s, but I feel like the Reville label continued separately. I think the merger was around 1936, so close enough to publication date. I also don't think Heyer was a particularly fashion-conscious person as far as contemporary style goes, she was probably aware of the key brands and definitely dressed very smartly and neatly but I never got the sense she was particularly fussed about any particular label or designer and just picked up on it as a vaguely right-status-sounding name to toss out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the extra info Daniel, can always rely on you! And I am sure you are right about Heyer and her fashion knowledge. It seems to me that a lot of writers just bandy fashion names around that they've heard, without knowing if they were on the up, or on the down, or not what that character would actually be wearing...

      Delete
    2. We've definitely talked about this before!! It really does bug me when people throw around super-unrealistic names just because they think, for example, that a comfortably off 1950s housewife would be going round wearing Dior, when Horrockses would be much more realistic, or that department stores would stock Charles James (I think this is actually one of the exact scenarios we discussed years ago!) who was notoriously exclusive, or that a vintage fan would wear a 50s Balenciaga dress for everyday London Underground commute travelling (if she was a vintage fan, she would know how valuable it was, and she wouldn't be wearing it on the filthy Underground unless she was going to an extremely special occasion, which she wasn't.

      I'm always more likely to be impressed if someone actually gets the clothing brands right, and knows that a successful greengrocer's wife would buy Peggy French or Susan Small to attend her daughter's wedding in 1959 for example.

      Delete
    3. Oh yes, I am sure it was you who alerted me to this trope, and made me notice it - I'd had a tendency to think the author was giving a mysterious clue to character rather than getting it wrong!
      Nancy Mitford got it right - I love Fanny in Love in a Cold Climate being horrified by the price of a Schiaparelli jacket
      http://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2012/12/on-not-being-sensible-about-clothes.html

      I have a vintage dress by Susan Small, which I like very much, but can no longer get into...Very much smart cocktails, which I'm also not doing much!
      Princess Anne's first wedding dress came from Susan Small, which I think places them both nicely.

      Delete

Post a Comment