The Doomsday Carrier by Victor Canning

published 1976





 

What a great and unusual writer Victor Canning was. He was amazingly productive, popular and successful. In an earlier blogpost on him I said this:

Victor Canning wrote thrillers, and they were the kind of paperback that, in my young years, people’s Dads had on their bookshelves – along with books by Gavin Lyall, Alastair MacLean, Wilbur Smith and Hammond Innes.

But you wouldn’t mistake him for anyone else, he has a most distinctive style.

This is a jaunty and unusual thriller, with the by-now-expected somewhat downbeat ending. As ever, the action gets going quickly: a young female research scientist (in what novels like to call 'a top-secret facility') has a shock in her private life, and as a result has a moment of inattention in her work. And a chimpanzee, Charlie, escapes. He is being experimented on, and there are good reasons why he must be found as soon as possible. Excellent setup.

But then, equally, there is a 30-day deadline: he MUST be found before that time, humankind is safe till then, but AFTER 30 days all hell will break loose.(There’s a clue in the title there.) Everything must be deadly secret for now – though people may need to be warned later… This is all extremely unconvincing in real life, but fine in fiction, although it holds its own issues. It’s a book, it’s a thriller, so we know Charlie is not going to be recaptured two days in, we know it must be going to the wire. And the Canning magic is that he makes this work, we still go along with the story. Even better, we follow the deeply-sympathetic Charlie, we always know where he is and what he is doing, and we find out backstories for the people he meets on the way. The chimp keeps slipping away from these chance-met strangers.

Meanwhile the research scientist, Jean, is secreted away with one of Canning’s security hardmen – the writer is big on shadowy departments run by cynical inhuman leaders of men. This one,  Rimster, is apparently at the end of a tough career. The two of them must stay hidden, and must be ready to race off after Charlie when he is found.



There are various plot strands you might predict from this, and all I will say is that Canning is always full of surprises, and it may not quite all go exactly as you are expecting.

The book is fascinating as a picture of mid-70s life – everyone smoking all the time, and although Jean is allowed to be both clever and successful, there are some pretty old-fashioned views of women around and see below for clothes caveats. There are also a lot of ideas discussed, some feeling very contemporary: the secret world colliding with the press, the ethics of animal experiments, worries about the way wars may be conducted in future.  

The setting is very recognizable, moving between Wiltshire and Hampshire, from Salisbury out in circles: you would assume the research facility, here named Fadledean, is based on Porton Down. Helicopters come from the (real) flying base, and search for Charlie around the beautiful hillfort at Danebury Ring.



 I am generally very resistant to animals and any attempts at anthropomorphism (though see the recent Fox 8), but I liked Charlie with his pant-hoots (‘a loud, structurally complex vocalization of chimpanzees’) his healthy appetite, and his chewed-up wads: he was truly a major character in the book.

There’s not much in the way of clothes, disappointingly, but there was one gem of a description of  Rimster – remember this is the tough guy full of unmentionable experience, who must save the world:

 

Rimster came through the open French windows of the lounge and down the brick-paved path between the terrace rose beds. He wore an open-necked green shirt with a paisley foulard at his throat and immaculately-creased light cord trousers. He looked clean, hard-chiselled and impossible to ruffle.




He sounds like he has wandered through those French windows from a quite different book -  middle-class adultery - or perhaps a social comedy/manners play of the era.

Jean doesn’t even have that much to work on in the clothes line, so I had to guess, and have taken what I think is a liberty. I couldn’t resist the top picture of the same woman in both trendy clothes and a white (‘research scientist’) coat – it’s from an ad in a fashion magazine of the era, and the point is the pen round her neck: that was quite the thing for a while there. I’d like to think this is what Jean might have looked like, but it’s probably not what was in Canning’s mind. I think his Jean looks more like this, a picture I chose for another Canning book:



These were both 1970s heroines, but they seem to belong to a much earlier time.

All in all, a most enjoyable thriller to while away an afternoon, and he fits a lot into what is a very short book. Modern-day authors write long, and presumably that is what their publishers and readers want, but Canning shows exactly what can be done in a short book. 

Comments

  1. This definitely sounds like a 1970's thriller, Moira, complete with 'Departments.' And the setup really is interesting. I have to say I'm not much of a one for anthropomorphic animals, myself. Neither do I like reading about animals being hurt. But it sounds as though Canning avoids that here. Personally, I give Canning credit for how prolific he was.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot - yes he produced a lot, most of it good. One of his fans says that if he'd written less he'd have been more successful and famous...

      Delete
  2. I love it when you tempt me with something off my beaten track. For once, my library's copy of an old thriller is NOT safely tucked away in the reference stacks (they have a prodigious collection of vintage SciFi and Mysteries protected from disappearance). So I've ordered that.

    While I was there, I downloaded an audio of Brave New World (read by Michael York!) because the scene you describe where the scientist's momentary distraction in the lab leads to far reaching results, reminded me of a similar incident in BNW, and I suddenly needed to revisit it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it! He's definitely a writer I could read more of. It's a long time since I read Brave New World - perhaps I should revisit.

      Delete
    2. Later... As for Brave New World, I'm nearly finished the audiobook from the library, and I'm finding it much less whelming than I thought I recalled. I'd suggest not to bother. It's lost something in 90 years.

      Delete
    3. Oh well that's saved me some time! Thank you 😉

      Delete
  3. Wow, you got to this one fast. I cannot read that fast, let alone write a review like this.

    I do have a copy of this book, and now I will have to move it up on my list to read sooner. After that I have two more of his books, and a book of short stories, but no more in the Birdcage series. So I will have to start looking for those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be moving through more of them Tracy and keeping an eye on what you are reading. There are a lot of them, and mostly possible to get hold of...

      Delete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many years ago I was lucky enough to attend a lecture by Dr Jerry Jaax (his real name), a US Army veterinarian who with his wife (also an Army veterinarian) worked on the first Ebola-infected monkeys in the US, in the 1980s. He made it sound a lot funnier than I'm sure it was. https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/1992/10/26/crisis-in-the-hot-zone

      Delete
    2. Can't read the article - but sounds fascinating. I suppose the surprise is that we haven't had worse viruses sweeping the population.

      Delete
  5. Never heard of this author. Maybe he did not make it internationally in the way authors like Alastair MacLean did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very interesting - he was so successful in the UK. Hard to say why one author becomes an international star and another doesn't.

      Delete
  6. Peter Dickinson's The Poison Oracle also looks at chimpanzees' ability to communicate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He also wrote a very weird YA book called Eva about a girl and a chimpanzee, one that I (read as an adult and) cannot get out of my mind...

      Delete
  7. Christine Harding9 April 2023 at 16:38

    Not sure this is really me - but the one you link to (The Mask of Memory) sounds enticing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Give him a go! You can usually find second hand copies easily...

      Delete

Post a Comment