Smart dialogue and a sour family. Brownstones revisited

And Dangerous to Know by Elizabeth Daly 

published 1949

The Book of the Crime by Elizabeth Daly 

published 1951

 

 


There are still a few such rows of old brownstone houses on the upper East Side in New York, some in bad repair. But among these relics there are still living fossils, private residences with well-swept doorways, where window boxes bloom all spring and summer; people like the Dunbars live in them, people who have a strong attachment to the past and dislike change and novelty.

 

I mentioned her in my last post, and I haven’t yet met an Elizabeth Daly book I didn’t enjoy – there’s a couple on the blog – and now I am spinning them out because she didn’t write that many, and I don’t want to run out. I saw this one mentioned in a thread on ‘surprising murderers’ which was enough to make me use up another one: It’s one I hadn’t read before. It wasn’t easy to get hold of, but worth the effort.

The much-missed Noah Stewart (RIP) identified a category of crime books as ‘brownstone mysteries’ and you could see exactly what he meant – New York setting, probably 1930s-50s, wealthy families, young women tripping in and out, up and down the steps, eating out in Manhattan restaurants, martinis and cigarettes going all the time…. You can sigh and sink into it. (the brownstone above, from the US National Archives, is in Brooklyn, but seems like a good approximation) Smart dialogue and a sour family.



And boy, Noah would have loved this one, the very epitome of a brownstone story, a dysfunctional family and a fizzing mystery. Alice Dunbar left her relatives behind in the brownstone, walked out and disappeared. She had a dull life, tied to her parents, every minute accounted for. So what has happened to her?

Series sleuth Henry Gamadge (amateur investigator, book expert) is on the scene and is soon investigating at full throttle, chasing round Manhattan like nobody’s business. I NEVER complain about this, but there were rather too many full descriptions of what he was wearing – but it became clear later that this was part of his enquiries and staying anonymous.

What happened to Alice is  intriguing and complex, and to be honest I found the ending a little bit disappointing – NOT because of the solution, which was brilliant and unexpected, but because it wasn’t fully explained or spelled out. I went back to re-read several times to try to work out exactly what happened, and I STILL don’t know what the key remark was that someone made…

But that didn’t stop me enjoying every dynamite minute, particularly the long section set in a hotel where Alice’s sister (widowed so allowed much more freedom) lives – the suave guests collecting in her suite, the entertainment in the public rooms below – it’s the supper-and-dance room - the beautifully imagined band playing for the rich guests, the glass window-doors out into the garden…

‘What’s the sister like?’

‘Jazz and men.’

There’s a hilarious thread running through about one of the characters, a pompous old bore who is obviously the worst guest ever: Henry knows he will be in dire trouble with his wife if he lets the man into their life and house.

‘If he ever got a foothold in a house he kept it for ever; he was an old-fashioned caller and dropper-in, famous for getting past sentries, paralysing parties, out-staying everybody, exhausting his hosts.’



 


The seven-piece band came on the platform, natty in their white coats and dark- blue trousers; Osterbridge sat down at the piano. Then Bishop appeared, cast a serene glance over the audience, favoure it with the attractive smile and a  half-salute with his baton… He pointed the baton languidly in the direction of the bass fiddle… and the band was in full swing…

The dance ended and Miss Bean came on stage and sang…

 

Oh the joy.

 And then I read another Daly book – The Book of the Crime, with a remarkably similar setting and some similarities of setup: the same pictures work for both. It is readable enough, and very short. It has elements - mysterious women and wives - in common with the Dangerous to Know,  which I probably preferred as more substantial  but also because of the hotel and the dance/supper club. The Book of the Crime did have a strange connections with a recent theme on the blog, and a very specific real-life case from the past  - but I can’t mention that as it is a giveaway. Don’t follow the links if you don’t want to know….

 The wonderful Gottlieb collection held at the Library of Congress is always the goto for any scenes of jazz and evening people in New York in that era…

The suggestions for men’s formal clothes come from the NYPL

Comments

  1. I'm not surprised, Moira, that Daly was said to be Agatha Christie's top-choice U.S. writer. Apparently, she was a fan, and I see why. I do like the Gamadge character, and I don't think Daly gets the credit she deserves for her plotting skills. Nice to see her here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot - the connection with Christie is interesting isn't it? I hope she may become better-known over here.

      Delete
  2. I entertain a hopeless passion for Henry, and I'm not convinced his wife is good enough for him - but anyway, 14 of the 16 books in the series can be read for free at the Canadian ebook site, Faded Page.

    https://www.fadedpage.com/csearch.php?author=Daly,%20Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for recommending this ebook site! I had not previously heard of it.

      Delete
    2. Shay: that's hilarious about his wife, next time I read one I shall scrutinize carefully and give my opinion on her. And thanks as ever for the link.

      Delete
    3. Susan: Shay is always brilliant at finding these links...we owe her a debt of gratitude

      Delete
  3. I fairly recently read all of these, Moira, and enjoyed them all - they are all you say and perfect escapist reading. Chrissie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We must discuss! Did you have a particular favourite? I will say she is one of those authors where I cannot remember which book it is from the title, all the titles seem to fit all the books!

      Delete
  4. Interesting that one of the evening wear suggestions is a frock coat with a Nehru collar - men, please revive!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is always a slight way out for men to look different, and I suspect always has been. Do you ever go to any of the summer garden operas? - I always enjoy looking at the variety of men's evening dress.

      Delete
  5. I read through all Daly's books as well, and I agree that there are not enough of them. IIRC there was a sharp-witted elderly lady neighbor in this book who would've made a good detective herself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice to find people who've read them - the comments make me look forward to the next one.

      Delete
  6. Okay, I really need to get my eyes on some of her Ms. Daly's work (no relation). As long as I don't have to encounter those truly gag-worthy men's fashions. Those shoulders....arrgh!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you will enjoy! she does go into some detail of her male detective's clothes, as I say, which is unusual... Well worth a read anyway.

      Delete
    2. Most of Daly's books are on FadedPage.

      Delete
    3. I have read all of Daly's books except for books 2 and 3, Deadly Nightshade and Murders in Volume 2. And I do have copies of those, just haven't read them yet. And I could read all of them again and not remember the story I am sure.

      I loved them when I first read them. I am more of a critical reader now than before, and I may notice things that irritate me, but I still think that overall they have appeal.

      Delete
    4. Tracy: I need to look at the list of Daly books, not sure where I am. As you say, I'm sure I could read them over without remembering much about them. But I do enjoy them.

      Delete
    5. 'and I STILL don’t know what the key remark was that someone made…'
      Your reference to this post made me go and read the novel online. It was indeed fun, though strange. The class differences even in America!
      I get the impression that you're referring to this: “I had a talk with Mrs. Tanner after he was dead. She says she thinks her sister got the final push towards murder that day she disappeared—at lunch, you know. Dunbar came in, and Mrs. Tanner says he said something to Alice, she won’t tell me what. She thought at the time it must just be a joke, but now it seems to strike her as having been frightful.”
      I expect that what Abigail Tanner meant was Bruce's remark to Alice: "Don’t forget, Alice—paint me that Christmas card. How about a couple of winners, proper, supporting tennis balls quartered with highballs?” It's amusing, except when you had expected to be married to the man by next Christmas. But now he says he needs more luck. Husbands and wives don't send each other Christmas cards, do they? After this Alice totters up to her bedroom, and makes up her mind.
      Clare

      Delete
    6. Thanks Clare - that does sound convincing though not at all familiar, I will have to reread the book sometime! I have another one by her lined up, looking forward to it.
      Yes - having lived in both the US and the UK, I don't at all argue that the UK isn't class-ridden - but I gently suggest that the US isn't quite as proudly democratic as suggested in that respect. Class features hugely in Golden Age detection fiction in the US, you can't imagine they invented it! And my other point is this: going back in time, and, I am quite certain, going forward forever, whenever someone tells their parents they are getting married, they don't only ask about the intended, they want to know 'who are their people?' they want to know where and how and by whom they were brought up. It shouldn't matter, but it does...

      Delete

Post a Comment