Reviewing for the i: The Weather Woman by Sally Gardner

The Weather Woman by Sally Gardner

 

published 2022




frost fair on the Thames, 1814, by Luke Clennell

This is a wonderful historical novel, a strange and entrancing book, and one I highly recommend.

I reviewed it for the i newspaper, and commented that the plot peripherals include: two extraordinary “frost fairs” when the Thames froze (real events); lost letters; a shipwreck; a man trying to swallow a fish; gambling; bigamy.' Tremendous fun. I end my review: ‘Push yourself into the book, as if skating over the frozen Thames, and there is a terrifically imagined world to enjoy.’

 

The Weather Woman by Sally Gardner, review: A strange and entrancing story of Victorian London (inews.co.uk)

 

(there is a limit to how many articles you can access on the site, but you may be able to read it in this not-very-good photo)

 


 

Comments

  1. This does sound strange (in a good way) and somehow compelling, Moira. I'll bet there's solid visual imagery, too, and the Thames is almost a person itself; I can see how that would be an appealing context for the novel. And you know I like a well-written historical novel...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot - I did enjoy reading it. And you are right about the visual imagery and the Thames. A writer to watch

      Delete
  2. What an evocative phrase "frost fair". We could have a 6 month frost fair in Saskatchewan every year. There are few winter festivals here. While we tolerate the cold it is impossible to predict if the weather will be too mean to be joyous out of doors. In Niagara-on-the-Lake in Ontario there is an annual ice wine festival. The hardy folk stand outside drinking ice wine amidst bars made of ice blocks. We were there once but lacking sensible winter wear (we had not known the festival was on before arrival) Sharon and I stayed inside the Prince of Wales Hotel enjoying a beer before the blazing fireplace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it just, I love the phrase Bill. I love hearing about Canadian life from you! And I like the sound of beer and fireplace...

      Delete
  3. Christine Harding9 April 2023 at 17:24

    This sounds so good I’ve bought it. I can never resist books about the Thames, whether they’re fact or fiction, and I remember watching a football match take place on the frozen river back in 1963, and how magical it seemed that the water had turned solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am exactly the same - despite having no childhood connection at all. But there is something magical about the river and the stories about it. And also: Frost Fair! always a great feature.

      Delete

Post a Comment