Christie experts ahoy

A big question about 


A Pocket Full of Rye, by Agatha Christie

 

And the comment on it in

 

Charles Osborne’s book The Life and Crimes of Agatha Christie

 


I first read the Osborne book a long time ago, when it was quite new (it was first published in 1982, has been reprinted several times). And ever since I’ve wondered about this line of description on Pocketful of Rye:

 

‘She was also, of course, mistress of the ambiguous statement, but did she overreach herself with an especially cheeky sentence in an early chapter of A Pocketful of Rye? The really astute reader may well think so, and in consequence may even correctly guess the murderer. An interest in, or at least an awareness of, geography would be an advantage on this occasion.’

 


I’ve read Rye a couple of times since, and each time have been on the alert for what this clue might be – but even though I’m looking for it, I cannot see it.

So now I’m asking – and with a risk of potential SPOILERS

 

--- WHAT does he mean, what is the clue early in the story?

 

All comments gratefully received – please feel free to SPOILER, and please don’t read any responses if you haven’t read the book and don’t want it spoilered.

While we’re spoilering:

Geographical clues or not – is the murderer’s plan the most ridiculous ever? It involves them in the most elaborate time-consuming plan. One can understand a villain buttering up an existing member of staff, but what’s involved in this one is completely nonsensical. A YEAR beforehand to go on holiday in a fake persona, find a random person, persuade them to go and work at the house concerned, and then go ahead with the poison plot. It’s just not convincing….?

 

And finally, is it 

A Pocket Full of Rye

or

A Pocketful of Rye?

It seems to vary. My copy is definitely A Pocket Full...

but Osborne seems to think otherwise.




 


Comments

  1. I'll have to look back through that one, Moira, to find the 'cheeky sentence.' As for the title, I've always read it as Pocket Full of Rye, but that's just me. Now you're making me really want to re-read that one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't feel guilty about making someone re-read an Agatha Christie book! If you do, please come back and tell us whether you've spotted the cheeky sentence...

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Both seem to exist... we need to know what Christie intended

      Delete
  3. Every source I've consulted says A Pocket Full of Rye.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I searched through a LOT of images of covers online and I finally found one with the title A POCKETFUL OF RYE. It was a Fontana paperback (I think, it was hard to see the icon on the image). The cover art was a bird's nest with bullets in it instead of eggs.

    I agree with you. I read A POCKET FULL OF RYE in November, and although I enjoyed the story a lot, I thought the culprit's planning had to work perfectly to succeed and was very unlikely. But that type of thing doesn't bother me much.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy - I know what you mean, I can live with all kinds of unlikelihood. But this seemed a particularly egregious example. It seems impossible that the young woman concerned would have not told anyone any of this along the way... The mind boggles.

      Delete
  5. In terms of most ridiculous murderer's plan ever ... I think it may be beaten by Have His Carcase (Dorothy L. Sayers). The complexity of the plot is mind-blowing (although there is one component that is fortuitously pre-existing). Not that I really thought about this the first few times I read the book, as I was enjoying the ride too much.

    I re-read Pocket Full of Rye quite recently, and didn't notice a giveaway sentence. But I wasn't looking for it. And my awareness of geography is comparatively minimal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, we need some kind of league table of the most unlikely plots. I did a post a while ago about particularly ridiculous drug distribution plots - Sayers featured there, too, for Murder Must Advertise.

      Delete
  6. Hmm...makes me want to take another read. Oh, the hardship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, as I say above, I don't feel guilty. But as I also say - please shout if you solve the problem!

      Delete
  7. There is the following line from the thinking of one character: "He loved her. The whole thing was worth it for her sake."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is not a geographical clue, but I take it that the geography knowledge is useful when reading the book, not when interpreting the ambigious statement. Geography might help you know that the mine the murderer wants might be valuable.

      Delete
    2. Margery Allingham used that idea in an earlier book.

      Delete
    3. Johan: I take your point. Although Christie could easily have meant something else by that statement: she liked ambiguity. And also people in her books get the geography wrong or are vague about where the mine might be... Mind you, all crime book readers are instantly suspicious about the failed mines and the worthless shares, especially when someone casually offers to take them on. Exactly the opposite of how we need to be in real life.

      Delete
    4. Lucy: Please tell me which Allingham book and which idea!

      Delete
    5. Yes, it could have been referring only to the murderer travelling back to meet his dad and settling down, but in context I don't think it is naturally taken to do so. I think I found the phrase odd and jarring already the first time I read the book. Of course, it might have been referring to some nefarious plan that did not involve murder, there usually is someone like that who happens to get involved in the murder investigation.

      Delete
    6. I'm going to have to read again and consider this!

      Delete
    7. I think Lucy meant 'More work for the undertaker' with the worthless mining shares in the wills of the Palinodes.
      Clare

      Delete
    8. Oh thank you, and I'm sure you are right. May be time for a re-read, of both books...

      Delete
    9. "Gold, Gold, Gold Incorporated. Filipino Fashions. Brownie Mines." Jessica remembers the companies her brother invested in. "Pure toilet paper!" says the solicitor. (From memory.) Amanda guesses the villain, and Rupert gives a clue by drawing endless mushroom clouds (offstage).

      Delete
    10. I can never remember much about Undertaker, I dont' know why. 'Worthless' shares that turn out to be nothing of the kind - well, they do turn up in fiction, if not much in real life I suspect.

      Delete

Post a Comment