Christmas Relatives and Bluetooth

 

Christmas Book Scenes!  During December I like to post entries which are more Christmas in Books than Clothes in Books, and kind readers say it puts them in a seasonal mood.

The last post looked at the difficulties of a Victorian family Christmas. Today's setting couldn't be more different, but still there's a thread of difficult relations....

 

The Long Ships: A Saga of the Viking Age  by Frans G Bentsson

published 1941 and 1945

translated from the Swedish by Michael Myers



Sven Forkbeard

[excerpt] The principal guest was King Harald’s son, King Sven Forkbeard, who had arrived from Hedeby with a large following. Like all King Harald’s sons, he was the child of one of his father’s concubines; and there was little love lost between him and his father, so that in general they avoided each other as much as possible. Every Yule, though, King Sven made the journey to Jellinge, and everybody knew why. For it often happened at Yule, when the food was richer and the drink stronger than at any other time in the year, that old men suddenly died, either in bed or on the drinking-bench. This had been the case with old King Gorm, who had lain unconscious for two days after a surfeit of Yuletide pork, and had then died! and King Sven wanted to be near the royal coffers when his father passed over. For many Yules now he had made the journey in vain, and each year his impatience increased.

Harald

comments: This seemed like a splendid Christmas description, and maybe a bit crass but I thought it would make anyone laugh if they were contemplating their own family Christmas. This is King Harald Bluetooth and his son being grumpy.

The book is a classic of Swedish literature, and great fun: a historical novel set at the end of the 10th century, following the very adventurous life of a fictitious Viking called Orm. It features many real-life characters and events, and seems to be very well-researched. It is very funny at times, with some great dialogue. Descriptions of fighting, battles and hacking at people with weapons don’t particularly do it for me, so I tended to skim those parts, then land on the more interesting (to me) bits involving relationships, and also the move to Christianity. There is great excitement when the year 1000 is approaching, as people think it will be the end of the world.


Baptism of King Harald

The book has excellent footnotes – above they explain that Sven Forkbeard is the father of King Canute.

Another one explains a game played by the battle veterans round the fire:
A sort of invitation to break one’s neck, played by strong, drunken men after a feast. One (the weaker) sits on the ground, while the other (the stronger) kneels on his hands and knees. The latter is the man who risks his neck. The weaker man sits with his knees drawn up and wide apart, puts his arms outside his thighs and locks his hands under his knees. The strong man then puts his head forward between the other man’s knees and into his locked hands, and tries to rise to a standing position, while the victim does his worst by pressing his knees and his locked hands round the strong man’s neck. It was (says the author, in a letter to the translator), ‘a frightful game, only played by drunk men.’

Photograph of a ‘viking’ is from the Swedish National Heritage Board.

And now – Bluetooth? Yes, exactly. The technology is named after this historical figure, and this book played a role in that. You can read the story here; but briefly – different companies and people were working on short-range radio links, and decided there should be an industry standard, they should unite. And someone at Ericsson had been reading this book (other books are mentioned also) and said Harald Bluetooth had unified all the tribes to make a kingdom of Denmark.

“Bluetooth” was originally meant to be just a code name for the technology. It ultimately ended up sticking though and became the official name of the standard.

Who knows, those relatives who are so annoying now may one day be tied to a technology they couldn’t have imagined…

Happy Christmas! Be nice to your family…





Comments

  1. How interesting, Moira! I didn't know that about Bluetooth! The story does sound like a lot of fun, and I have admit; I haven't read a Viking-era historical novel before. You choose the most interesting holiday-themed books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot - we aim to please! I could have picked other aspects of this most interesting book, but I was very entertained by this story and thought others would be too... And the Bluetooth connection is fascinating.

      Delete
  2. Fun to see you read a Swedish classic. Bengtsson did not really write any other novels that I am aware of, but he did write some essays, some of which are basically short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His essays are wonderful. And "Röde Orm" (the Swedish title of the novel) is great fun. One of my favourite passages is the one where Orm kills one of his rivals for the fair Ylva and is a tad worried that she might resent this. Not so. Ylva's comment is: "That was good work, Orm. He had been allowed to stay unslaughtered far too long."

      Delete
    2. Thanks, both, so glad you saw the entry, I was hoping you both would! if you have any other Swedish books to recommend please do so.
      Is it something you would have read in school?

      Happy Feast of St Lucy...

      Delete
    3. Thank you! I did watch a St Lucy procession at work, which was enjoyable.

      I did not read it at school, nor do I think Frans G Bengtsson got a lot of attention during litterature classes.

      I will be on the look-out for books to recomend. Mostly I hope they translate some of Maria Lang's early work, I think you would enjoy the similarities and differences to English detective novels of the era.

      Delete
    4. I did a Maria Lang book a while back https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2015/02/petrona-remembered-wreath-for-bride-by.html and always intended to read more by her, I enjoyed it very much. I'm not sure which of her works are available...

      Delete
    5. I don't think I read it at school either - it was just one of those books available on my parents' shelves. I have been trying to think of a good Swedish book with a Christmassy setting but my mind is a blank. A book I love, though, and which has apparently been translated into English, is "The Treasure" ("Herr Arnes penningar") from 1904 by the Nobel Prize winner Selma Lagerlöf. It is quite short - more of a novella than a proper novel - and cosy it is not; it is a crime novel / ghost story / psychological thriller set in the Middle Ages in the deep midwinter, in which the love between two young women who have been foster sisters takes precedence over the love between a man and a woman.

      I was up early and watched the Lucia concert at 7 a.m. on TV while breakfasting on the traditional fare, saffron buns and gingerbread, the room lit by candles only.

      Delete
    6. One of Maria Lang's novels takes place around Christmas: "Tragedi på en lantkyrkogård", which would translate as "Tragedy in a Country Churchyard", from 1954. I can't remember if there are allusions to Thomas Gray's poem in it, but it would not be surprising. Maria Lang was extremely well read.

      Delete
    7. Had Bengtsson read Saki? "That was good work, Orm. He had been allowed to stay unslaughtered far too long." sounds very like one of Saki's characters who "would be enormously improved by death". Could MAria Lang have been influenced by Masters' Spoon River Elegies perhaps? They form a kind of novel.

      Delete
    8. Birgitta: I have downloaded the Selma Lagerlof to my Kindle. Unfortunately the Maria Lang book doesn't seem to be available in translation. Both sounded really intriguing.
      And of course, they don't need to be Christmas books! Recommend me anything...
      I liked the comment on Wiki that a Selma Lagerlof book had one of the most famous opening lines in Swedish literature: 'Finally, the vicar was in the pulpit'. Certainly that would keep me reading.

      Delete
    9. Roger: yes I can see what you mean by Saki style. And nice to hear a mention of Spoon River - I heard a radio programme about it at least 30 years ago, and got hold of a copy when next visiting the US (obtaining foreign literature wasn't as easy then). I absolutely loved it, but you don't hear much about it these days. I think it was studied in US schools back in the day, but less so now?

      Delete
    10. I came across Spoon River over fifty years ago via Squire's [takes a deep breath] "If Gray Had Had to Write His Elegy in the Cemetery of Spoon River Instead of in That of Stoke Poges" and was inspired to look for it. It (Masters' version) isstill in print in the USA, I think, a play was made out of it and a biography of Masters was published recently. Squire is a bit long to quote in its entirety, but great fun.

      Delete
    11. I found it online (here for anyone else following all this https://wonderingminstrels.blogspot.com/2005/04/if-gray-had-had-to-write-his-elegy-in.html) and indeed it is brilliant, though you feel the audience even back then might be quite limited, as needing familiarity with both authors. The person who posted it mentions it is in an anthology called Verse and Worse, is that where you came across it? I have a copy of a book of this name, but am away from home right now so cannot check if I have had this clever parody on my shelves all this time...

      Delete
    12. I may have found it there, as I know the book. It was a Penguin anthology (I can't remember if it was one of a series or a selection from the series). I think it was edited by J.M. Cohen, anthology editor and translator. I had no knowledge of Masters or Spoon River but - I presume - thought "This looks interesting" and went on to learn about him. We may not know anything of MAsters before reading the poem, but we get a pretty good idea of Spoon River from it.
      How I found more about Masters or his own book I can't remember either - via an anthology in a library or an encyclopaedia I expect.

      Delete
    13. Ah no, my Verse and Worse is a Faber book I am fairly certain. I will check when I get home. I did not find out anything about Masters and Spoon River until I visited America.

      Delete
    14. The Cohen book is A Choice Of Comic And Curious Verse, followed by More and Yet More. I may not even have encountered Masters there. I'm also grateful to Cohen for The Penguin Dictionary of Modern Quotations, where I first came across James Agate and Henry Reed's Hilda Tablet plays - perhaps even Masters too.

      Delete
    15. Rght, I think I may have an anthology from him - and I definitey have the Modern Quotations, I love that book, my copy is quite shabby now.

      Delete
    16. My copy of the Dictionary of Modern Quotations. It's an alarming thought: a new edition would be a Dictionary of Not Very Modern Quotations, but I could do with a Dictionary of Really Modern Quotations to find new authors.

      Delete
    17. Did you try to post a photo? Way beyond blogger's capabilities. Yes, it is endearingly historical now - a modern edition would be quite different, but the old one definitely a snapshot of a moment.

      Delete
  3. Christine Harding13 December 2022 at 13:31

    Reasons for buying this book: It sounds such fun; My mother’s mother was Norwegian, so I’m bound to have Viking ancestry; I love all those old Scandinavian sagas and tales of the Norse Gods; It is St Lucy’s Day, and I like St Lucy; I live in Tamworth, where Aethelflaed, Lady of the Mercians (eldest daughter of Alfred the Great) raised a Castle - she fought the Danes and beat them back to the other side of the old Roman Watling Street.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well that sounds like a no-brainer! What a lovely collection of reasons. I hope you enjoy.

      Delete

Post a Comment