Thirkell, Death, Greek Play and Pageants again

August Folly by Angela Thirkell

published 1936








Excerpt:  When Laurence got to the bean rows he found Mr Phipps sitting on a wheelbarrow eating bread and cheese.

‘Morning, Phipps,’ he said. ‘A bit early for dinner, isn’t it?’

‘A man like me as works in graveyards has to get his bite when he can,’ said Mr Phipps.

‘Much doing in the graveyard line?’ asked Laurence as he picked French beans.

‘Worst season I’ve ever known, sir, and I’ve lived in these parts nearly 70 year and been sexton 33,’ said Mr Phipps. ‘Not a soul nor a body for three month. Seems like there’s a curse on that new bit of ground the bishop consecrated last summer. Can’t get no one to make a beginning… Cremation’s the trouble, sir. To my mind it’s against nature, but these young people they like a bit of life and you can’t stop ‘em.’

‘Not much life in cremation, I should have thought.’

‘It’s this way, sir. It  means a nice outing to Woking in a motor-coach for the friends and relations. You can’t blame them for liking their bit of fun. I was the same when I was a young fellow. I’d think nothing of walking to the county jail, a matter of 15 miles each way, to stand outside the day a man was hung. But I’m not what I was.’


‘Well I hope you’ll live to see the hoodoo taken off the new burying-ground,’ said Laurence.

‘Thank you kindly, sir,’ said Mr Phipps, brightening up. ‘Maybe I’ll be the first myself. It wouldn’t look bad on my stone, “He was the first”.’

‘”That ever burst”’, said Laurence mechanically, which made the gardener burst into a cackle and say she’d tell his old woman that.

 

 

observations: The blogpost on pageants produced, as I hoped, a splendid list of suggestions in the comments. Staunch blogfriend Shay mentioned this book, Angela Thirkell’s August Folly, as having ‘something that seems to be more than a play if not less than a pageant.’ I couldn’t instantly identify this one – as I said to Shay, ‘most of them could be called August Folly from the content’ – but as soon as I opened it I thought ‘ah yes, the Greek Play’. Reading Thirkell is always the same for me: she is very entertaining and easy to read, but I get impatient as I go along, and her snobbery and conservatism annoy me. But then there will be a passage that almost redeems her – I absolutely loved this tiny scene, unexpected and very funny, and somehow reminiscent of the poems of AE Housman, and also of the splendid Hugh Kingsmill parody (of Housman) which starts

What, still alive at twenty-two,

A clean, upstanding chap like you?

Sure, if your throat 'tis hard to slit,

Slit your girl's, and swing for it.

 

The Greek Play itself in the book – encompassing the whole village, nobs and working people alike, and indeed very pageant-like  – is a good vehicle for multiple jokes and plot complications and costumes. Such an event is hard to imagine, and harder to imagine organizing, but they were obviously a thing. See also Helen McCloy’s marvellous Through a Glass Darkly, set in an upmarket American girls’ school.

The picture – and it is possible that the affair in the book did not look quite so accomplished and have such good lines – shows modern dance pioneer Ruth St Denis and others in Greek Veil Plastique. It is from the NYPL, part of an excellent archive. The dance company was called Denishawn, and legendary actress Louise Brooks got her start there – all featured in this blogpost. And also in this one – another picture of Ruth St Denis in this production made the perfect picture for Topaz’s dress in I Capture the Castle. I was extremely happy with the matchup.




The other picture is from the National Library of Wales via Wikimedia Commons and shows Dick Nancy, a gravedigger from Ruthin in North Wales.


Comments

  1. I do like the wit here, Moira. I know what you mean, though, about snobbery and conservatism. It's funny how authors' viewpoints can come through in a book even if it's not a book with an agenda. It does sound like Thirkell chose the right setting and context for the book, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margot - there are certain aspects of life she is very good on. She can handle a big group of characters and knows where they all are, and how they will interact with each other, and after being quite snarky will suddenly produce some empathy for a character. And can make you laugh. So overall, quite a lot to offer if you can get past some of the attitudes.

      Delete
  2. Oh good, a perfect excuse for quoting Housman's own parody of Greek drama:
    Concluding lines of [AE Housman’s] ‘Fragment of a Greek Tragedy’, written when he was at school…

    Eriphyle (within): O, I am smitten with a hatchet’s jaw:
    And that in deed and not in word alone.

    Chorus: I thought I heard a sound within the house
    Unlike the voice of one that jumps for joy.

    Eri: He splits my skull, not in a friendly way,
    Once more; he purposes to kill me dead.

    Cho: I would not be reputed rash, but yet
    I doubt if all be gay within the house.

    Eri: O! O! Another stroke! That makes the third.
    He stabs me to the heart against my wish.

    Cho: If that be so, thy state of health is poor;
    But thine arithmetic is quite correct.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "O, I am smitten with a hatchet’s jaw" - sorry, couldn't help but think of the old mountain (in this case, Appalachian) saying about wanting to part someone's hair with a hatchet.

      Delete
    2. Lucy: that is excellent, never seen it before. So he did have a sense of humour...

      Shay: Appalachians and Greeks with but a single thought

      Delete
    3. Housman had a fine (and grim, as you might expect) sense of humour. It crops up in his letters and reviews and he wrote a few openly comic poems. One of the qualities of A Shropshire LAd is how close to comicality and bathos Housman goes without falling over the dge. He slips now and then, but very seldom.

      O have you caught the tiger?
      And can you hold him tight?
      And what immortal hand or eye
      Could frame his fearful symmetry?
      And does he try to bite?

      Yes, I have caught the tiger,
      And he was hard to catch.
      O tiger, tiger, do not try
      To put your tail into my eye,
      And do not bite and scratch.

      Yes, I have caught the tiger.
      O tiger, do not bray!
      And what immortal hand or eye
      Could frame his fearful symmetry
      I should not like to say.

      And may I see the tiger?
      I should indeed delight
      To see so large an animal
      Without a voyage to Bengal.
      And mind you hold him tight.

      Yes, you may see the tiger,
      It will amuse you much.
      The tiger is, as you will find,
      A creature of the feline kind,
      And mind you do not touch.

      And do you feed the tiger,
      And do you keep him clean?
      He has a less contented look
      Than in the Natural History book,
      And seems a trifle lean.

      Oh yes, I feed the tiger,
      And soon he will be plump.
      I give him groundsel fresh and sweet,
      And much canary-seed to eat,
      And wash him at the pump.

      It seems to me the tiger
      Has not been lately fed.
      Not for a day or two at least;
      And that is why the noble beast
      Has bitten off your head.

      I suspect this was a swipe at his pacifist brother and sister Lawrence and Clemence, who founded Housman's Bookshop. His youngest brother was a gentleman-ranker and died as a sergeant in the Boer War.

      Delete
    4. Very nicely done.
      Gentleman-ranker! What a Kipling-esque expression: I have always loved -
      Gentlemen rankers out on a spree,
      damned from here to eternity

      Delete
    5. The male equivalent of clergymen's daughters. It was probably a more wide-spread problem than people recognise now: the children of parents with middle-class incomes but unable to save or buy property. AEH got to Oxford on a scholarship. I don't think his brothers and sisters got after-school academic education. As well as that, compared with a five-and-a-half-day week as a clerk in the City, joining up probably had some appeal - look at the number of City clerks who enlisted in the Boer War. or Raymond Asquith's
      The Volunteer
      Here lies a clerk who half his life had spent
      Toiling at ledgers in a city grey,
      Thinking that so his days would drift away
      With no lance broken in life’s tournament:
      Yet ever ’twixt the books and his bright eyes
      The gleaming eagles of the legions came,
      And horsemen, charging under phantom skies,
      Went thundering past beneath the oriflamme.

      And now those waiting dreams are satisfied;
      From twilight to the halls of dawn he went;
      His lance is broken; but he lies content
      With that high hour, in which he lived and died.
      And falling thus he wants no recompense,
      Who found his battle in the last resort;
      Nor needs he any hearse to bear him hence,
      Who goes to join the men of Agincourt.

      Asquith wrote that some years before WWI.
      Isn't there a reference in one of the Sherlock Holmes stories to City clerks enlisting in the Boer War?

      Delete
    6. I'm always fascinated by that: with no lack of respect for the sacrifice, wars must have cheered some people's lives up, given them some interest, got them out of their rut. Americans have that thing about 'How Ya Gonna Keep 'em Down on the Farm (After They've Seen Paree?)', Brits less likely to make an overt song about it. But there are plenty of poems, and they are always touching and thought-provoking.
      And yes, we do hear about the difficulties of young women who were not encouraged to work but had nothing if they didnt marry - but there must have been plenty of men with their own constraints.

      Delete
  3. One of the great grave-diggers in fiction is Mipps in Doctor Syn. He doubles up as sexton and coffin-maker.
    Is Phipps's remark "I’d think nothing of walking to the county jail, a matter of 15 miles each way, to stand outside the day a man was hung." a swipe at Thomas Hardy's claim to have witnessed the hanging of a woman over the wall at Dorchester Gaol perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will look out for Mipps.
      Thirkell does like to make fun of certain writers and styles of writing, so perhaps it is Hardy-esque...

      Delete
  4. Unrelated comment, but do you by any chance remember a book I recommended to you a few years ago written by a woman author in the 1930s, with an antiques dealing theme and quite unusual in how it had a strong woman character who was pretty independent and hard-drinking and very much UnLadyLike? Possibly Elizabeth Dean's Murder is a Collector's Item? I feel almost positive that you wrote a blog post on it, but as I can't find anything for Elizabeth Dean or using antiques etc as a keyword, I am majorly second-guessing myself. Did I imagine it all?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This rang no bells when I read your comment, but when I looked it up in my records there it was: exactly the book you name, read by me in 2017. But it seems I didn't write a blogpost on it - my notes say 'crime story set around antique shop in Boston, nice heroine and characters, lost it two-thirds of way through'. No memory of what I didn't like about the ending, but that would be why I didn't blog!

      Delete
    2. " the 1930s, with an antiques dealing theme and quite unusual in how it had a strong woman character who was pretty independent and hard-drinking and very much UnLadyLike? " Sounds like a case study from Marjorie Hillis' "Live Alone And Like It."

      Delete
    3. Aha, fair enough!! I must have had a very vivid false memory then.

      Delete
    4. Shay: Yes indeed
      Daniel: Perhaps we discussed it...

      Delete
  5. I suppose that one of the reasons I enjoy Thirkell is that every so often she forgets her biases and makes the characters she dislikes human and sympathetic. I can't help liking the intellectual daughter whom she normally misses no opportunity to make seem insufferable.
    On pageants, i wondered whether Lucia taking over the role of Queen Elizabeth in Mapp and Lucia counts.

    ,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great perception about Thirkell, and yes it does improve the books.
      Mapp and Lucia! of course. I think I mentioned them in an earlier post on pageants, but forgot them this time.

      Delete

Post a Comment