Getting Out of the House for a Walk


Still a few special Christmas and New Year posts to go… today it is that seasonal winter walk….



There Came Both Mist and Snow by Michael Innes


published 1940



Winter walk Mist and Snow

I do not think that my walk that morning was much disturbed by the mysterious currents which were beginning to stir in my cousin’s house-party. A powdering of snow had fallen, and in the park the trees, bare and soot-begrimed, showed like frozen fountains of ebony. Everywhere the eye saw silence; the hubbub from without, itself, something diminished at this hour, was doubly an invasion and a wrong: against it a single hidden storm-cock, the missel thrush of the north, sang a clear defiant strain. A gardener’s boy, breaking off from the satisfied contemplation of frost on his recently dug beds, trundled his barrow over to greet me; I had known his father and could just remember his grandfather too. I felt at home. Many of my school holidays had been spent at Belrive; indeed, it was the nearest thing to a fixed centre that I had known.


commentary: This seasonal book seems to me to contain both the best and the worst of Michael Innes. It is a (relatively) gentle story, but with a lot of sharp & ill-natured, though rather pointless, smart dialogue. Some of the characters are satirizing the writing style of the narrator, a well-known novelist (of all the annoying features imaginable). It is the book that contains the notorious (to me) parlour game in which the family members compete as to who can remember the most Shakespeare quotes about bells. The title comes from a poem, and Inspector Appleby conscientiously tries to remember where it is from: his eventual identification will give him a clue as to what happened. (Though frankly I could tell you the answer, and quote you the whole stanza, and I don’t think it would do you the slightest good. No offence. It didn’t do me any good.)

But - while not being very festive, the book does do a wonderful atmosphere of a slice of English countryside tucked in between two large factories – the outside world is encroaching on the estate. The house-party is well-drawn:
“Do I gather then that it is an unrelievedly family party?” 

“Just that. A nice old-fashioned Christmas. I am to talk climbs with Basil; Hubert is to start on a portrait of Cecil; Geoffrey and Anne are to make love; and Lucy is going to pursue you into corners and elicit your views on the interior monologue and on chapterisation.”
There are some good turns of phrase, like the character who ‘did contrive to give rather obviously an impression of being one of the lilies of the field.’

There is this extraordinary conversation, with a headmaster starting the discussion: I had to read it twice to check that it means what it seems to mean:
Cecil was addressing himself to the delicate theme of the Emotional Life. “At the beginning of the spring term,” he was saying; “—for it seems particularly necessary then—I give them a little talk on what I call Control.” He paused. “And we stop sausages or anything of that sort for breakfast.” 

Anne Grainger, sitting on the other side of Cecil, was not at all disposed to let this opportunity for outrageous commentary pass. “Don’t Cecil and his housemasters,” she asked the table in her clear voice, “just sit pretty? Every pound of sausages knocked off the butcher’s order one more stroke in the cause of virginity.”
The narrator is Arthur Ferryman, and as I said, he is a novelist - apparently in the mode of Henry James. I think by 1940 it was jaw-dropping of Innes to use this excuse to get Ferryman ‘helping’ Appleby in an investigation into a death. This is Appleby speaking:
“An investigation of this sort is largely a matter of probing human conduct, of penetrating human character. Here you are our natural ally—and one of the most effective we could find in England, if I may be impertinent enough to say so.”
ie Appleby is claiming that Ferryman (known to him only through his books) is so obviously an expert on human character that he will have useful insights to offer in solving the crime.

Outrageous.

The atmosphere is wintry rather than Christmas-y, but the best part of the book. It is very satirical about the arts, and a real Dons’ Delight.

The picture is A Winter Walk by Sanford Robinson Gifford from The Athenaeum website.













Comments

  1. I'm a big Innes fan and like this one a lot, particularly the motivation of one character and his reaction to the particular manner of one death.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll have to flick through to see what you mean! Glad you enjoyed it and I hope the blogpost gave you good thoughts for New Year. There's no doubt, Innes was a very clever and talented writer.

      Delete
  2. I feel he is one of those writers who hasn't worn terribly well. I read lots years and years ago, but am not really tempted now - though I still like the short stories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have read large numbers of them in my day, and am not tempted to re-read much - I have a row of them and keep wondering if I should get rid. But there are some pleasures within… I think you like short stories more than I do. I am not keen - present company excepted of course!

      Delete
  3. I like the way you put that, Moira - 'both the best and the worst of Innes.' I do like the descriptions of life and lifestyles in his books. And, as you say, the turns of phrase can be effective. Every once in a while, there's some wit there, too, that I like.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think most (but not all...) of us here feel the same way. There are definitely some good moments in all of them.

      Delete
  4. I haven't read anything by Innes for years, but when I did I enjoyed them. I am sure a lot of the literary references passed me by entirely. I have intended to read more of his books ... or re-read some, and when I do it will be interesting to see if his books still appeal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do they turn up at the booksale Tracy? I think there are a lot of them in shelves of old books in secondhand shops here... He wrote so many, there are still a lot of them hanging around..

      Delete
    2. They do. I have picked up a good number over the years. Many of them in the Penguin editions in tiny print though.

      Delete
    3. Oh that's so true: they are nice small paperbacks, easy to fit into a pocket or bag, but goodness that means the print is small...

      Delete
  5. We had our long walk yesterday and going for another this morning - got to get the waistline under control after all the making merry over Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! The walk makes you think you are doing something about it... but it is a really nice Xmas tradition.

      Delete

Post a Comment