Yet Another Department Store….

Au Bonheur des Dames by Emile Zola


usually translated as The Ladies’ Delight or The Ladies’ Paradise


this excerpt translated by Moira Redmond ie Clothes in Books


published 1883


Display 2


‘Stop worrying about the customers’ eyes’ Mouret said, ‘Take a chance. Blind them with colour! With red! With green! With yellow!’

He grabbed the material, throwing it round, messing it up, putting it in dazzling and weird colour combinations. Everyone knew, the boss was the finest window-dresser in Paris, an honest-to-God revolutionary who had introduced a form of brutalism on a giant scale into the world of display.

He wanted the goods to look as though they were tumbling out of boxes that had been ripped apart, colours flaming, each contrasting with and setting off the next piece. When they leave the shop, he said, the customers should have sore eyes.

Hutin, on the other hand, was of a more classical school of thought: he liked symmetry, harmony, subtlety. He watched this incendiary display being created in the middle of the table without allowing himself the slightest criticism, but his lips were pinched as befitted an artist whose sensibilities were being offended.

‘There!’, cried Mouret when he had finished. ‘Leave it like that, and just see if it brings the women in on Monday.’


Window display


commentary: I loved and adored this book: it was a tremendous read. Apparently it was made into a TV series in the past few years, though I didn’t see it, and I’m surprised it wasn’t more successful – such opportunities. (Last week I wrote about Norman Colliins’s Bond Street Story, another great tale in a similar setting.)

Zola tells the story of a department store in Paris, one that gets bigger and better as time goes on. He follows it through the eyes of a young woman, Pauline, who gets a job there and begins the long haul out of poverty, while catching the eye of the young and handsome owner. But that story is really just an excuse to talk about retail merchandising. Zola is known to have done huge amounts of research on the subject and I would say became obsessed with it – every so often he seems to have to force himself back to the human stories. His long descriptions of displays and departments are individually mesmerising – by the end you start to think there are too many of them, that they are facile, but I did enjoy them very much.

I am very prejudiced against Zola, after a very bad experience with the worthy but frightful book Germinal – it takes some kind of prize for the most depressing book ever, and one that took me an unprecedented length of time to read. But this one completely won me over.

Arthur Hailey used to write very long complex blockbusters centred on an organization – Hotel and Airport for example – and although nobody is comparing Zola to Hailey in the literary pantheon, there is a certain similarity. (And Hailey’s greatest achievement was surely to inspire the best spoof/parody of all time – the film Airplane! I don’t think Zola can quite compete with that.)

All kinds of unexpected details of life came up: who’d’ve thought that shoplifiting was such a huge problem at the time? The store detectives have to be particularly suspicious of pregnant women – I thought this might be hormonal blame, but is actually because their size and voluminous clothes make it easy to hide the loot.

The days of the sale are secret and important – nice link with the very similar goings-on in Colm Toibin’s Brooklyn nearly 100 years later: see blog entry. The small local shops are being put out of business by this new arrival – and the owner wants to buy their premises to expand his shop.

He looks at the finances of work: the store offers accommodation to the young unmarried female employees – it’s rather horrible but Zola explains that otherwise the women could not earn enough to live on, and that that is why so many of them are forced to become prostitutes.

My only problem with the book was that the translation I was reading (via Penguin) was absolutely terrible, and eventually I lost patience and had to start reading it in French. So that above is my own translation. Here is one small example: a customer buys ‘a muff and some gathers for herself, stockings for her daughter.’ Gathers? What are gathers? It is obvious from the French that ‘frills’ would be a better word choice. This is repeated over and over. The translator has ‘lorries’ driving round 1860s Paris: the French word is camion, which would be lorry today, but in 1883 surely wagon or cart would be a better choice. These vehicles are horse-drawn, they are NOT lorries.

The colour picture is The Dressmakers Studio by Edouard Vuilliard from The Athenaeum website.

Window display of silk fabrics from the McCord Museum in Canada

Zola featured on the blog before, but as a defender of Dreyfus in the Robert Harris book An Officer and a Spy.


























Comments

  1. What a fascinating look into that era of department stores, Moira! I can see why it drew you in. It's funny you'd mention Germinal I had much the same reaction to it that you did, and that made it hard going for me, too. Interesting that this isn't like that at all. And please, don't get me started on poor translations. I can only imagine how many books don't do well in other markets, and it's simply because the translation isn't good. I don't envy the translator the task, because it can be tricky to do it well. But still...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I am glad it wasn't just me and Germinal! This is a very different kind of book, though he does take a long hard look at life: things are not sugar-coated. But tremendous fun, very entertaining. And I agree - translating must be very hard. But still, I don't know why bad ones get through...

      Delete
  2. Can you recommend a better translation, for those of us not quite up to reading it in the original ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't, because I didn't find one! It might be a book that not many people have tried. I once wanted to read the classic of Spanish literature, Don Quixote, for which there are many translations. I downloaded the first chapter of about 5 translations to my Kindle (which is free) and compared them: one stood out as being by far the best. But there may well not be enough different versions of Au Bonheur...

      Delete
    2. Traddutore, traditore!

      Delete
    3. Those Italians always have a clever phrase, Shay.

      Delete
  3. I remember hearing long ago what a good window-dresser made in Washington, and being astonished. It may not have been what an associate made at a big-name law firm, but it was a lot.

    According to the Goncourts, that was roughly how theatres compensated their actresses, i.e. with opportunities to meet rich patrons. In modern-day America, actors rely (or used to) heavily on unemployment insurance, and the employees of such companies as Walmart make little enough to be eligible for food stamps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Interesting details - exactly the kind of thing Zola liked for his book! There are superstar window dressers, I believe, who can charge the earth - there was one at Barney's in New York.
      Things have changed in the UK too - it is much harder to get benefits, and many jobs are very insecure.

      Delete
  4. I wish I could read books in French, but I can't. I do love the idea of books set in department stores, and I have one at least to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's not something I lightly take on, Tracy, and I have to have the dictionary with me the whole time! I would much rather read it in English. (I am waiting for a comment from my multi-lingual friend who is a professional translator - she is going to be very surprised at the idea that I read it in French!).
      At some point I would like to do a blogpost on dept store books - so make sure to tell me about the one you have lined up...

      Delete
  5. Sharon and I enjoyed The Paradise show on T.V. It was produced by BBC. We thought it was as good as Mr. Selfridge.and were disappointed when it ran but two seasons. There were wonderful interiors and some amazing clothes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh it sounds marvellous - I am so sorry I missed it. I guess it was unlucky that there were two competing programmes: if they had been separated by a few years both might have been successes.

      Delete
    2. I liked the first season, thought the second was a bit of a disappointment.

      Delete
    3. Am really going to have to find it and watch it...

      Delete
  6. Great book, thank you for reminding me , I must read it again. I have the Oxford Classics translation 'The Ladies Paradise' which sounds as though it reads better than the Penguin translation. The 1930 silent film directed by Julien Duvivier will be shown at the Cinema Museum in Kennington, London on 12 September at 7.30. It will be interesting to see how the sumptuous clothes and displays were dealt with in black and white!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh great thanks - good to have a translation reco, and a film sounds fantastic! I would love to see that..

      Delete

Post a Comment