Fear by Night by Patricia Wentworth

 Fear by Night by Patricia Wentworth

published 1934


[There has been a problem with comments, now resolved. Let me know if there are ever issues clothesinbooks@hotmail.co.uk]




 

We recently enjoyed ourselves in Scotland, where Gladys Mitchell had sent Mrs Bradley and Laura in

Gladys Mitchell: My Father Sleeps

There was much discussion of the country, and blogfriend (and Mitchell memory woman) Marty said this:

I'm reminded of a Patricia Wentworth standalone which also included a loch said to harbor a monster--one of her thriller types with an ending that surprised me!

Obviously I had to get the name of it from Marty and read it, and here it is. It is – of course – reprinted by my friends at Dean St Press and has a very useful introduction and biographical note from my friend Curtis Evans. So, surrounded by friends.  

And I suppose it could be considered a slight spoiler to reveal that there might be a sea-monster involved in the plot. But I think you can live with that. I will not say more about it, except that at the end there is a note from Patricia Wentworth which ends:

P.P.S.—This book was written in the autumn of 1932, before I had heard so much as a whisper about the Loch Ness Monster.

[reports of a monster in that Loch have existed for around 1500 years, but there was a major surge of interest from 1933]

The story itself is about a penniless young woman who doesn’t know she is heiress to a fortune. We know, and we are privy to the thoughts of the wrong’uns who have a variety of plans to get the money away from her. She is doing the best she can:

Ann Vernon came up the steps of the Luxe with her chin in the air. If Charles Anstruther had been waiting for her, he would have reflected with a little stab of amused admiration that it was just like Ann to look as if she had bought the earth, in a dress which even to the male eye was tolerably out of date, and to cock her hat at an extravagant angle just because it had obviously borne the heat and burden of the summer.

She, the innocent, has this Charles, a potential suitor, but also a determination to get herself a job. She goes as companion to a sweet old lady, but is she landing herself in more trouble?

Old lady, her son, and Ann carry themselves off to a house on a remote Scottish island in a Loch, one that can only be reached with great difficulty.

Various characters try to either kill her (inheritance) or marry her (gold-digging would-be husband). The Good Suitor (we are never in much doubt) chases her up to Scotland but has tremendous difficulty crossing the Loch.

This resembles somewhat the setup in Anthony Gilbert’s The Woman in Red from a few years later, an innocent woman who cannot be tracked down.

The reader knows most of what is going on, so really the plot could do with a few surprises, but there are a couple of things that are not predictable, and it is an easy read.

Ann is a feisty young thing, not constrained by the Miss Silver Etiquette Book of Nice Behaviour, she has a certain freedom of manner which is charming. She writes to Charles:

‘Isn’t it simply too thrilling? I adore sailing. I’ll send you an address when I’ve got one. If I don’t, you’ll know I’ve eloped with the rum-runner to wherever he keeps his secret still’.

Though, we need to give her the benefit of the doubt in this para:

“You’re wasting time. It’s such a lovely, perfect, heavenly dream of a night. Wouldn’t you like to make love to me?”

Charles made love to her.

The phrase was changing its meaning even then, but I’m guessing PW meant the less sexy version.

There is a cousin for Ann: Hilda Paulett. In my post on The Spoils of Poynton, I wrote about minxy girls in Wentworth, who should be called Fleda Vetch, and Hilda is definitely one of them. No sisterly solidarity here.

Hilda Paulett looked a little blank, and when she looked blank she looked sulky. She was dressed in the bright green which had been the fashion of a few months ago and was now dead. It could never have been becoming to her dark skin. Charles thought her gone off, and remembered with surprise that she was considered handsome.



Ann’s new employer has a mourning brooch, always a subject of interest round here, and this sounds like a particularly hideous one:

“That’s a piece of her ’air in my brooch. The sprig of white heather, that’s ’ers. Her ’air went a beautiful white afore she died. Seems like mine’s going to ’ang on grey to the end.”

Ann gazed enchanted at the brooch with its bunch of flowers. “Are they all relations?” she asked. “I mean relations’ hair. How thrilling!”

“Some of ’ems in-laws,” said Mrs. Halliday. She unpinned the brooch and leaned forward with it. “That there buttercup, that was a bit of my mother’s ’air when she was a young girl. So bright’s a marigold—isn’t it? Prettiest girl anywhere within fifty mile, so they did say. I don’t remember ’er. And the little tiddy flower aside of ’er’s, that’s my sister Annie Jane what she died with.

 


Ann’s outfit (top pic) is from a few years later than the book, but I thought had the look of something perky and not high fashion.

During her adventures, Ann falls off a cliff, gets caught in a rock/cleft/bush and considers as follows:

If it hadn’t been foggy to-day, she would have been dead by now, because if it had been fine like yesterday, she would have had on her blue cotton frock, and it would have torn like paper. It couldn’t have held her weight for a moment. It wouldn’t even have broken her fall. This old tweed skirt was strong. It would hold her here till somebody came.



Scottish weather to the rescue! You must always take a stout tweed skirt, a pullover and a waterproof to Scotland, even when it seems very warm.

I will always probably prefer Miss Silver, but as I come to the end of the books it is good to know there’s plenty of these flapper adventures to keep me going.

Hat fashions at the Roney Plaza Hotel | Local call number: P… | Flickr

I don’t think this green outfit is awful at all:

Canton crepe green print dress - NYPL Digital Collections   

Hill Walking | Title: Hill Walking Creator:Arthur Cambell - … | Flickr

Comments

  1. It's hard to imagine Miss Silver being in this story! The thrillers just aren't her milieu at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes - I can't see her running around and hiding in the trees on the island. Mrs Bradley on the other hand would probably swim across

      Delete
    2. I can certainly see Laura swimming across the loch, and I'd pity the poor sea monster who tried to get in her way.

      Delete
    3. Yes, the huge physical problems in the book would be as nothing to the Dame & Laura

      Delete
  2. To think that a tweed skirt could save your life...I wonder if it really could?
    The green frock is rather elegant.
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do wonder. I whink sometime there should be a convention when we try out lots of crime book claims and see if they really work!
      I loved the green frock, and it went down very well on social medai....

      Delete
    2. They probably don't make tweeds the way they used to! Trying out crime-book claims might be a little iffy, besides the actual danger there would be the risk of the authorities finding out--and you'd get some first-hand experience of the police!

      Delete
    3. No Marty, we need to be more plucky about this, we need to give it a go and take a chance

      Delete
    4. (HelenS: apparently have to be anonymous now) Doesn't "pluck" actually mean the same as "guts"? ("Pluck" is sometimes used to mean the guts of an animal, the stuff plucked out of them) "Feisty" applied to farty dogs, "spunk" meant semen - a lot of unpleasant associations!

      Delete
  3. Re Ann’s reflections while hanging by a tweed thread… now that’s what I call plucky! What a plucky girl she is. It’s a character trait we just don’t hear enough about these days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it's not a word you hear: very much one for 50s & 60s children's books too.

      Delete
    2. Perhaps we've replaced "plucky" with "gutsy", which I suppose was frowned upon back in the day. Or is "gutsy" more of an Americanism?

      Delete
    3. I think most of Wentworth's heroines do have pluck, however unwisely they may act at times. Wentworth didn't seem to have much use for the clinging-and-helpless king of girl, and no doubt they were less interesting to write about.

      Delete
    4. Perhaps the real-life plucky people found out it was the sort of quality that enabled you to live long enough to have children.

      Delete
    5. Now I think of gutsy as being another 50s & 60s children's adventure word. I can remember one book in which the family had adapted it to guttish - 'that was pretty guttish of you'. Can't' remember which book. It does turn up elsewhere - Faulkner and Mailer both use it - but this was a very specific family language version.
      Roger - I'd have thought it could go either way, when it comes to danger

      Delete
    6. Granted, Moira, you did call her feisty, which has to be the nodern day equivalent 🍁

      Delete
    7. I'm never sure about the word feisty, sometimes it annoys me - but I do find myself using it

      Delete
    8. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    9. Whoops!
      Perhaps the real-life plucky people found out it wasn't the sort of quality that enabled you to live long enough to have children.

      Whenever I come across the word "feisty - nearly always in an essay or review - I start to hurl whatever it's written on across the room.
      Then I remember it's not a wise thing to do with a computer.

      Delete
    10. Plucky and feisty aren’t synonymous though; I’d say pluck is about courage, feistiness more about self-assertion (not sure that’s the right word but it’s the best I can come up with for the moment), and one can be plucky without necessarily being feisty and vice versa. Plucky and gutsy on the other hand are very similar (and come from the same idea – one meaning of “pluck” is “internal organs of edible animals” - haggis is made from sheep’s pluck).

      Sovay

      Delete
    11. Roger: I did wonder if something was missing from your original comment, and this makes much more sense.
      There was a time when I banned 'feisty' from my vocab, but it crept back in, and I just searched on it and was surprised by how often it has popped up in blogposts. Sometimes ironic - an implication of 'what other people would call feisty'. But I think it does serve a useful purpose.
      I agree Sovay - not the same as plucky. Useful to have so many words in the English language...

      Delete
    12. "Feisty" comes from a 19th-century name for a type of small-but-spirited hunting dog! Defined by Google AI as "often showing a readiness to fight or argue despite being small or at a disadvantage". More often used for women and children than for men, I think, because of size and weaknessp--it couldn't be used to describe Laura , with her Amazonian qualities!

      Delete
    13. M-W has "spunk" as a synonym for mettle and pluck. It always makes me think of the old Mary Tyler Moore TV show--"I hate spunk!"

      Delete
    14. Did not know that about the dog. 'Active, forceful and full of determination' is the Cambridge definition over here - no emphasis on size, and an example given of a feisty man. I think people would describe Laura as feisty.
      Not familiar with the context from the MTM show, though I did watch it back in the day

      Delete
    15. Well, AI can be wrong, but I've come across the word feist for a dog before now. This article describes the way I'm used to seeing feisty used: https://www.csmonitor.com/Arts-Culture/In-a-Word/2020/0910/The-subtle-sexism-behind-words-such-as-feisty

      Delete
    16. I wasn't arguing about the dog - just saying that the UK definition seems subtly different.
      (But I also like to check out everything major claimed by AI. Asking it for the plot of obscure books is enjoyable hilarious, as it simply makes up names and plots. 'I don't know that book' would be a much better response)

      Delete
    17. I think the article mentions that the OED has a definition more like Google's, and also that The Guardian stopped using "feisty" to describe women because of its connotations. I can't fact- check it though.

      Delete
  4. I liked the green dress too but didn't think it was a bright green--this is more how I see that color (purely personal of course) :ohttps://colorguide.org/en/bright-green

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That link isn't right, should be this: https://colorguide.org/en/bright-green

      Delete
    2. I would agree that it isn't really bright, but pics of green dresses are particularly hard to track down (along with polka dots) and I did really like this one

      Delete
    3. Maybe the dearth of green dresses from that period has something to do with the old arsenic connection? Or green might be an unflattering color for many people so it wasn't very popular.

      Delete
    4. There was a discussion of this on the blog a while back.... but as ever I have no idea where

      Delete
    5. That rang a bell – I had an idea it was part of the discussion of a book by O Douglas and so it proved - The Setons
      https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2025/04/how-to-be-heroine-works-of-o-douglas.html

      Sovay

      Delete
    6. Oh well done - it's a good thing some of my blogfriends have a better memory than I do

      Delete
  5. I think I remember a make-up hint from this book: if your employer does not want you to wear lipstick, you can bite your lips so that they become red.

    I definitely think Wentworth meant the old meaning of "make love", and I really think her use proves that was still the dominant meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've definitely read that tip, but not I think in this book. MInd you, Ann is forever biting her lip, enough to draw blood at times. Not quite as often as Miss Silver would have coughed, but something to look out for in future Wentworth reading.
      The minxy cousin Hilda has this: she took out a lipstick and reinforced the discordant cerise of her lips. They were full, pouting lips and they took a good deal of colour.
      .... but the only job she is looking for is 'mean girl'

      Delete
    2. In a WW2 women’s magazine somewhere in my collection there is a page of recipes for offal, which was not rationed but not at all easy to get hold of; to improve her chances of getting her hands on some liver, the reader is recommended to “make love to your butcher”, by which I’m pretty sure they mean “be friendly, maybe flirt a little” rather than “fling him down on his chopping block and have your wicked way with him”. So the old usage was still very much alive in the 1940s.

      Sovay

      Delete
    3. Women's magazines really are a treat aren't they? - Always have been, always will be.
      The current meaning of 'making love' was definitely in use a lot in the 30s and 40s and onwards - I'm not able to give a percentage - but I think it genuninely had both meanings for quite a long time, surprisingly. You'd think it was a really confusing usage, but apparently everyone coped

      Delete
    4. The Scottish setting, Patricia Wentworth and the old lady as employer felt familiar, but double-checking I have probably not read this one. I am sure it was a Wentworth that had the useful hint however.

      Delete
    5. I will keep an eye out for it too!

      Delete
    6. Johan, I think the ending in this book might stay with you if you read it--very strange for Wentworth, even in her thrillers!

      Delete
  6. It seems odd now to read about employers, and conservative people in general, opposed to lipstick! I remember a moment in Busman's Honeymoon describing Bunter's approval of Harriet's cigarette stubs not having any lipstick on them. Wonder when it became the norm instead of an object of disapproval? And other makeup too? I've seen rouge mentioned (and another example of pinching to achieve an effect), but in some GA books a "painted face" seems to be a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. The DSP Patricia Wentworth reprints were a godsend to me in lockdown: perfect comfort reading, in large quantity, just when I needed it. The sea creature came as a happy surprise.
    On the whole I agree about preferring Miss Silver, but there are some very strong solo ones. Pursuit of a Parcel is one of her best - terrific supporting characters, including a gently romantic middle-aged clerk and a hired thug who is scared of spiders. The Red Lacquer Case has maybe the first, and certainly the best, of Wentworth’s broken-up couple who get back together again. They broke up because the heroine was a suffragette, and her fiancé tried to dissuade her from lawbreaking; when they meet again, the vote is won and the war is over and they’ve both been through a lot. Much better than “I mistakenly thought he was a thief and didn’t bother to ask”! Zoe

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment