The Dancing Druids by Gladys Mitchell

 

The Dancing Druids by Gladys Mitchell

published 1948

 



A most enjoyable farrago (words that can be used about most Mitchell books) but strangely unmemorable: a couple of weeks after reading it I have not much to say about the plot.

The Dancing Druids are standing stones -  much like the Mocking Widow in a recently featured John Dickson Carr book.




I think that is a slap-up, truly compelling title. And then comes a good setup: some young men are doing a cross-country hare and hounds (ie the group chasing one of their number) and one of them gets diverted (a mistake or deliberately misled?) and encounters a strange group of people, obviously up to no good, and a lot of talk of moving a very ill man to hospital.




Two of the young men are mulling over what this could all mean, and they end up consulting Dame Beatrice Bradley, though they have their doubts: ‘She still believes in Freud – 1856 and all that. Still, I believe she’s 90’. Mrs B of course investigates with vigour, and with the help of assistant Laura who is ‘entranced by what she called the boys-book atmosphere of the proceedings’. Quite.

There’s a lot of thriller stuff – waiting, watching, flashing the torch, keeping lookout, climbing over hedges. But Laura  also poses for a portrait by a dodgy artist, with some mention of painting her in the nude. ‘I’ll let you know about the rudery.’ The poet Philip Larkin, who loved to read about Laura doing nude swimming, must have been agog at this.



Meanwhile, Mrs B is sparring with the chief constable, an old friend:

‘Look before you leap has always been a motto of mine’ [she says]

‘Not when you used to go skiing in the old days’ said the chief constable with a reminiscent chuckle….

There is a whole plot strand to do with a film crew, and the employment of extras, and real and fake paintings also come into play. A smugglers’ cave features, would have fitted in well with a recent post:

Heyho for Smugglers’ Rest

There is an ice delivery lorry, so normal then, so much gone now, and a sudden description of music hall artiste Max Miller.



That comes from her chauffeur George, who really blossoms in this book. Though really, I was shocked by this:

George had that old-fashioned conception of a wage-earner’s loyalty to an employer which socialism has done so well, no doubt, to deflect, emasculate and destroy. He saw it as his plain duty to provide the police with their victim in the form of his own person rather than in that of Mrs Bradley’s nephew, and was cheerfully prepared to be detained at, and, if necessary, incarcerated in Cudchester police station. Noblesse oblige was not George’s familiy motto, but it was his philosophy where his employer was concerned.

This is so completely absurd – it defies logic, ethics, morals, justice – that you can only think socialism came just in time.

George reveals that he is pursued and harassed by women so much that he is changing his name by deed poll to Cuddle-Up in the hope of putting them off. No, this makes no sense at all. He also says that he is willing to pretend to be drunk as part of an investigation:

‘I have often played the part of an inebriate at domestic festivals in order to amuse my mother’s guests, and shall not be at a loss.’

There is a splendid scene on a boat-ride when the sleuthing party has claimed archaeological interest as a cover for visiting the smugglers’ cave. Mrs B has had the forethought to borrow some items from a friend, so that they can pretend to have found them.

A 15 year old boy is the mate, and he leans over and says

If you found them there in that ‘ole, it’s where somebody must ‘ave dropped them…’ To the horror of three of his hearers, the stupefaction of the fourth, and the cackling delight of the fifth, he continued, pointing: ‘That there be be a bone of bos longifrons; that be part of the blade of a Stone Age sickle; that un be a bit of the turnover top of a Neolithic collared urn. I don’t hardly reckon none of them would be found in a hole like that ‘un.’

Weirdly – naming stones after ‘the eight great planets’, doesn’t seem to count Pluto (recognized in 1930,18 years earlier, and downgraded relatively recently) and they can’t agree a name for the ninth…

In fact the idea and placement of the stones most resembles the Rollright stones in Oxfordshire – colour photo – though there are a lot more than 9 of them.



File:Rollright - Rollright Stones - 20240921145641.jpg - Wikimedia Commons

And the youth group out for a hike, a few years later, had a look of the young people rushing round solving the crime.

The top photo is from Ireland: Druids circle at Lissivigeen, so wrong location, right idea. The boys look exactly the kind of children who would feature in a Mitchell book, and the era – 1940s – is right.

The two Gallans! No not the boys, the rocks! | The title of … | Flickr

An Australian cross-country race in the 1940s

Start of the Toowong Memorial three mile cross country rac… | Flickr

Youth group on hike France | Citation: Mennonite Board of Mi… | Flickr

The artist and his model?

HC07134 | A photograph of John E. Meyer with a wood carving.… | Flickr

Comments

  1. How about a post one day about excellent servants and employees in fiction - could include George, Miss Lemon, and so on ...Chrissie . Meanwhile GM has written so many that we surely have lots more to go?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea Chrissie. I was just thinking that George in a way is heading for Bunter territory from the DLS books. A comparison seems a good idea.
      And yes there's a lot of Gladys books to go - I'm not going to run out any time soon....

      Delete
  2. Oh, this is a real Mrs. Bradley sort of mystery, isn't it, Moira? So many different strange elements, and some odd characters, too. That term, enjoyable farrago, is exactly right for a lot of books, isn't it? Oh, and I agree. I'd love to see a post about fictional servants and employers. There are a lot of good ''uns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is very much her kind of scene, as you say. And I think you could do us a great post on servants in crime fiction Margot

      Delete
    2. " naming stones after ‘the eight great planets’, doesn’t seem to count Pluto"
      Standing stones were probably named when people didn't know Earth was a planet and when neither Uranus nor Pluto had yet been recognised as planets

      Delete
    3. No. The stones are being named by the characters in the book, in 1948: they are not traditional names.

      Delete
  3. Not one which I have read, but while the plot may well be unmemorable and unfathomable, the diversions and excursions sound great fun. I will have to look out for it.
    I have been struck by the thought that certainly Bunter would have qualified to be a member of the Junior Ganymede Club with Jeeves, and certainly I can envisage him below stairs at Blandings Castle listening to Beach complain about his ailments and spotting the imposters (especially in Something Fresh). Not certain where George would have fitted in the hierarchy of servants in a pre-Great War servants' hall.
    Definitely I can imagine a bizarre crossover between Wodehouse and Mitchell where Constance invites Mrs. Bradley before she realises her error, Clarence being scared of her and her and Galahad getting on like a house on fire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And Mrs Bradley has a history with pigs....She would be sure to appreciate the Empress

      Delete
    2. This sounds tremendous. I'd love to see Mrs B tackling Sir Roderick Spode and the Black Shorts.
      And yes - Empress the perfect bridge. Nephew George could come too and have long chats with Lord Emsworth in the piggery.

      Delete
    3. The chats at the pigsty could get quite heated – IIRC the nephew has leanings towards new scientific methods of pig management, moving towards modern battery-farming, and it seems unlikely that Lord E would approve.

      Sovay

      Delete
    4. There's a lot of people in Patricia Wentworth involved in experimental agriculture - I'm sure there must be pig experts among the Dales and Jervises, one could be brought in to keep the peace.

      Delete
    5. Mrs B might be brought in to solve the mystery of yet another kidnapping of the Empress...

      Delete
    6. Considering the number of her relatives and how many marriages she encourages (almost on Miss Silver levels), Mrs B as another aunt for Bertie Wooster is credible. More on the Dahlia than the Agnes side of the equation, but still formidable, Depending on the woman involved, the question of whether she is helping Jeeves to keep Bertie a bachelor or he is trying to thwart her efforts to marry Bertie off could have been fun.

      Delete
    7. Now, where would Mrs B stand on the question of Madeline Bassett? Might she be encouraging the relationship?

      Delete
    8. If Mrs B were really trying to get Bertie married off with Jeeves opposing her, which one of them would you put your money on? It would be an epic battle although I can't quite see Mrs B pushing anyone into matrimony

      Delete
    9. I doubt that Mrs B would think that Madeline Bassett or Honoria Glossop would be a good match for Bertie. Now Bobbie Wickham....
      I think if she thought the young woman was suitable, she might take steps to ensure matrimony on both sides, as with Deborah Cloud and Johnathan in Laurels are Poison.

      Delete
    10. Bobbie's the pick of his many fiancées, but I hope Mrs B would recognise that Bertie doesn't really want to be married to anyone; even on the odd occasions when he's got engaged under his own steam, rather than being coerced or manipulated into it (eg Pauline Stoker or Florence Craye), he's quite relieved to be disengaged again.

      Sovay

      Delete
    11. Mrs B tends to take a eugenecist view of human matrimony, so she may well want to make sure Bertie cannot marry, or procreate, at least, especially with the young ladies he gets involved with..

      Delete
    12. Roger, I doubt that any of Bertie's eccentricities would bring out eugenicist objections by Mrs B to him procreating. Indeed, his general good nature and kindness could well be seen as necessary correctives to the more barking attributes of his various fiancées.
      Sovay, while I take your point, I do feel that if Mrs B in Laurels are Poison decided that it would be good for him to be married to a particular person, she would give him as little choice as she gave Deborah Cloud.

      Delete
    13. This discussion reminds me of the story about Mrs Pat Campbell remarking that she and George Bernard Shaw should have children together that would have his brains and her beauty, to which GBS objected that they wouldn't be so lucky if the kids if had his beauty and her brains....

      Delete
    14. I very much enjoyed reading all these ideas.... Thanks all for brilliant contributions

      Delete
  4. In the television Mrs Bradley Mysteries, George was more involved in the plot than in the books, IIRC--I believe she even flirted with him at one point.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually am very mellow about changes in TV adaptations, but that flirtation was not to my taste! They definitely implied there was a spark between them.

      Delete
    2. I’m usually NOT that mellow about changes in TV adaptations, but Mrs B as portrayed by Diana Rigg was so little like Mrs B in the books that this one probably wouldn’t have bothered me.

      Re: George’s proposed change of name; is he thinking along the same lines as the chap (I’ve an idea it may have been Ronald Knox) who advised that if you want to keep a compartment to yourself in a railway carriage the best method is not to spread out your belongings to fill the space and then scowl at seat-seeking fellow travellers (which they may take as a challenge); on the contrary, you should deliberately catch their eye, smile in an encouraging manner and pat the seat next to you invitingly …

      Sovay

      Delete
    3. Apparently it made women think twice about marrying him and becoming Mrs George Cuddle-Up. But if asked by the authorities why the change, he was going to say it was in order to claim an inheritance - a bequest on condition he had that name.

      Good point about the railways!

      Delete
    4. Diana Rigg should have had an original series developed for her with a witty and brilliant role that was NOT supposed to be Mrs Bradley!

      Delete
    5. I think earlier this year we discussed who should have played Mrs B, and on further reflection I think Celia Imrie could have been a good choice, - good at conveying a certain hint of mischief and intelligence.
      On clearing trains, I still think the cheese gambit from Three Men in a Boat was a good one.
      In real life, in the mid-80s on an otherwise crowded tube train on the District Line, there was a surprisingly empty carriage, and it was only when the train set off that the other passengers and I realised why. At one end there was a very pungent drunken tramp and at the other end a born-again Christian singing and preaching in a very loud voice.

      Delete
    6. Marty: yes I do agree. Apart from anything else, D Rigg wears absolutely amazing beautiful clothes. So on the one hand I admire that and want to see details - and on the other, what could be less Dame B?
      I was once stuck in a very long traffic jam, the car uncomfortably full. We played a game of 'It could be worse - we could have X in the car with us', taking it in turns to suggest X which could be person, object, animal - which at least passed the time. Charles Manson was a highly-rated answer as I recall

      Delete
    7. And yes AdrianDominic, Celia Imrie could be an excellent casting choice

      Delete
    8. AdrianDominic: I agree that a really well-rounded stench is the best way to ensure plenty of personal space in practically any situation; knitting with 16 inch long needles, however well managed, also seems to discourage people from sitting in the next seat.
      Frances de la Tour would be my first choice to play Mrs B, but Celia Imrie's a strong contender.

      CiB - I'd be inclined to take all serial killers as read in the car game!

      Sovay

      Delete
    9. Re: Diana Rigg - from time to time I see adverts for a 1920s-set TV crime show featuring a sleuth called Phryne Fisher, and always do a slight double-take as the lead character looks very much like Diana Rigg as Mrs B.

      Sovay

      Delete
    10. I thought of the Miss Fisher Mysteries too, that character would have been a good fit for Diana Rigg--very adventurous and unconventional, almost like a Jazz Age Mrs Peel!

      Delete
    11. In the car game, I'd think that Hannibal Lecter would be the worst of the serial killers. He'd mess with your head before he killed you!

      Delete
    12. I like the idea of Frances de la Tour as Mrs B, she'd do well

      Delete
  5. I think Larkin might have commissioned a portrait of Laura in the nude if he could have done so!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He sounds like the kind of person who would be very hard to buy presents for: imagine presenting him with that on his birthday

      Delete
    2. He could have commissioned a Fancy Portrait, as mentioned in the Fancy post here:
      https://clothesinbooks.blogspot.com/2026/06/spelling-grammar-words-language.html

      Sovay

      Delete
    3. I think it would have pride of place in his sitting-room

      Delete
  6. Odd coincidence --a gentleman considered PGW's possible inspiration for Lord Emsworth was named LeStrange

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment